Thursday, April 22, 2010

Plants Mini Unit Study

We did a mini study on plants this past week.  I didn't go all out, but we did some fun things.

As with any study we always have lots of books!  I didn't make a trip to the library, but just used what I had in our own library.

Book Suggestions:

The Berenstain Bear's Big Book of Science and Nature - This is always a good one to pull out!

Plants In Winter - A book Chad had when he was a kid (love those!)

Zinnia's Flower Garden - They love this one we got from a free book club a few years ago.  Maybe because it is so colorful.

A Sunflower Grows Up - "Now I Know" Scholastic Series

A Tree is Plant

From Seed to Pumpkin

One evening we planted the seeds they received in their Easter  baskets.  Andrew planted green beans, Ethan planted cucumbers and Samuel planted zucchini.  We will transplant these to our garden later.



We watched a couple of videos on plants from Discovery Education.  Andrew wanted to do a "test" after watching one of them.  He got some of his bean seeds and put them on a wet paper towel, put it in a Ziploc bag and then put it in the sun.  He wanted me to do mine a little different.  We have had fun seeing the difference.  His is doing much better than mine!  You can read about doing that simple experiment at this blog I enjoy reading.

We made some pretty flower art from an idea in an Usborne art book.  It's hard to see how pretty they really turned out.  You cut out shapes for a flower from a card material and glue them on a piece of paper.  Then you take the paper you want to color on a place it on top of the flowers and rub your crayon over it.  The boys called them magic flowers!



We looked at a lot of flowers and plants around our yard.  There is plenty to look at around here, and I love that they are interested in them!  I love talking to them about how incredible and how very interesting God has created plants.  Each of them are so unique and they do exactly what God created them to do every spring.  We talked about perennials because I have a lot of those around.  Their favorite was the uncurling of the fern.  We talked about annuals, ground covers, flowering trees and all the other beautiful wonders.



We finished off the week by watching Jack and The Beanstalk during our Friday night pizza and a movie.

So it was a throw together kind of unit study, but sometimes that's the best kind!

2 comments:

Bekah said...

Do you have any Lilac bushes up there? Lilacs are my favorite flower but I can't grow them down here in GA. It is one flower I truly miss! So now I grow Gardenias but it's just not the same! :-)

sarahssweeties said...

Yes, we do. I had a beautiful one until they chopped it down to put in our enormous heat pump! Thanks, Chad! My neighbor tells me I can always get a cut of hers anytime. :)