Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Who's in the Middle of the Storm?

Today's Daily Focus that's worth reading.  I can relate...I hate storms!
"I, even I, am he that comforteth you" (Isaiah 51:12a).

Summer storms were always a scary time for my young children. When the weather turned blustery on hot summer nights, I usually heard my two oldest children running down the hallway to my bedroom. Even though they had learned Bible stories of Jesus' power over storms and problems, their little hearts were simply too frightened by the strength of a threatening storm. Understanding their fears, I would let them crawl into my bed while the lightning cracked and the thunder boomed. After the storm passed, I would then carry their sleepy little bodies back to their own beds.

One night during a storm, I felt God's leading to teach my children an important spiritual lesson. Instead of allowing them to crawl into bed with me, I gently took them back to their room and tucked them into bed. As I sat with them, I taught a little song to comfort their fears while the storm raged outside. The words were simple enough for a four and five year old and talked about not being afraid since God is always with us.

As we sang the words together during the storm, my children experienced God's courage to face their fears. Although they didn't fall back to sleep right away, they were able to wait out the storm without terrified tears. More importantly, they learned whenever they were afraid in life, they could go to their heavenly Father for protection.

Are you in the middle of a storm right now in your life? Maybe you're facing the dark and painful moments of grief or loneliness. Whatever the problem, God promises in His Word that He will be with you (Hebrews 13:5b). Like a loving heavenly Father, He gently holds and comforts you when the darkness seems overwhelming or when the storm's power rages over you. Run to Him now, and you'll also discover He's in the middle of your dark storm. "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness" (Isaiah 41:10).

Heavenly Father, I feel so scared right now, and like a child, I want to panic. I claim Your promise to never leave me, nor forsake me. Please hold me right now Father, and keep me safe. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: