Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Fireflies

Summer is a great time to learn about fireflies, or lightning bugs as I always called them!  We had a fun time during this unit study.  There isn't a whole lot out there for this study, so I hope I can help gather some information for you!

Backyard Nature has a fun page on fireflies.

The boys loved singing "Fireflies, Won't You Come Out Tonight" from this album.  It's really cute and it teaches some great facts about fireflies!

We had a lighting bug party for some neighbor friends.  I had scored a ton of free Ziploc containers a couple of weeks ago, so I put name tags on each of those and drilled holes in the lids.



I strung some lights around the back porch and around my pond plants.  It actually looks really fun!  The boys caught lots of fireflies.  I served ice cream.  It was a good kick-off for our firefly studies!

We made a life cycle wheel fromthis page from LapbookLessons.  I laminated it after we glued each piece on, then used a brad fastener to put it together.  This little booklet about fireflies' light is a good way to explain bioluminescence.  And some Firefly Vocab words here.

I printed some clipart and had the boys paint fireflies, with glow in the dark paint of course!

The verse for this unit study was Psalm 27:1.   I made The LORD is my light and my salvation printout for our school area.

I couldn't resist buying the Lightning Bugs Gummi candies I saw at Kroger.  The boys loved that surprise one evening!  And I always love those little surprises God gives to us!

Books we read:

Fireflies in the Night

Fireflies

Fireflies, Peach Pies & Lullabies

Fireflies, Fireflies, Light My Way

Ten Flashing Fireflies

Fireflies for Nathan

The Very Lonely Firefly

I am linking this post to Homeschool Creation's Preschool Corner for the first time!

9 comments:

Sarah said...

What a fun unit :) Great activities!

MamaGames said...

Oh, my! I can't believe I never thought to make NAME TAGS for the firefly jars... wouldn't that help make peace!

And to paint the pictures with glow-in-the-dark paint! Why didn't I think of that? Fabulous!

Terra said...

Wow! I wish I had been there. Sounds like a blast. I remember catching lightening bugs when I was little, but I don't see them anymore. I wonder where they all went!!!

sarahssweeties said...

They are all here in Indiana! We have tons!

Rebecca said...

I am planning on doing a firefly theme sometime this summer, so ill to bookmark this post! Where did you find glow in paint? Just a regular craft store? Who makes it? I really like this idea :)

sarahssweeties said...

It's pretty common I think! Check the craft stores!

kewkew said...

Stopping by through Preschool Corner. What a lot of great ideas for a lightning bug unit. We have a field on the other side of town that was lit up like Christmas lights with lightening bugs the other night. It was so cool. I have done bug units before when I was working at a Montessori and another day care. Your post has inspired me to see what I can come up with for a bug unit of some sort for the girls. Along with Nicole at Tired, Need Sleep. She had a cute lightning bug craft using a flashlight. Need to go find that again.
Love the Bible verse selection.

Melissa said...

Awesome ideas! I wish we had fireflies here! I grew up watching them in the summer on my grandparents farm in Georgia! Fond memories! Your kiddos will remember these moments!

Jessica said...

This was my first week at Preschool Corner too:)- It sure looks like you had a lot of fun!! Great activities! (I've enjoyed taking a peek at your blog!)